An island near Harrisburg on the Susquehanna River was a summer camp destination in the early 1900s for kids from Pennsylvania’s capitol city.
According to a new book called Harrisburg and the Susquehanna River by Erik V. Fasick, an island near the city known as McCormick Island hosted its first summer camp in the summer of 1912 after its owner James McCormick gifted the 101-acre island to the City of Harrisburg.
Forty-two girls attended the first camp, which was given the name Kamp Kaughtinrein because of a downpour the first night of the girls camp. A boys camp was held after the girls returned home in August.
The camp continued until 1924 when it was discontinued because of a lack of interest. Today it is a protected area used for naturalist studies.
Activities at the camp included swimming, boating, vaudeville productions, basketball and education in the domestic sciences for girls like cooking, baking, sewing, embroidery and basket-weaving (pictured above).